Governors work closely with headteachers, school staff and representatives from the local authority (LA). Click the names of each Governor to find out more about their roles and responsibilities:
Local Governing Committee Structure
|Deacon Peter Lavery||Foundation |
|Admissions (Chair)||Deacon -Parish of St Joseph's, Birtley||Deacon at Parish Church|
|Mrs Bernadette Davison - Chair||Foundation||01/03/2021 -|
Head teacher's performance (Chair)
|Education (retired)||Grandparent of the school
Music player within Masses/Liturgies
Chair of Governors
|Mrs Bernadette Bartlett||Foundation||01/03/2021 -|
First/Pay Review (Chair)
Head teacher's performance
|Human Resources||Previous parent of the school
|Miss Patricia Jenner||Foundation||01/03/2021 -|
|Education (retired)||Previous teacher of the school
|Mrs Angela Garrity - Vice Chair||Foundation||01/03/2021 -|
|First/Pay Review |
|Education||Previous parent of the school|
|Miss Sophie Loughlin||Staff||01/03/2021 -|
|Acting Deputy Head Teacher||Staff member (teacher)
|Mrs Claire Canham/|
*Not applicable this year
|Staff - non elected governor||Resources|
|Deputy head teacher||Staff member (deputy head teacher)|
|Mrs Catherine Young/ Mr David Miller (Executive Headteacher)||Head Teacher||All Committees||Head teacher||Head teacher|
|Mrs Monica Kelsey||Foundation||01/03/2021 -|
|Curriculum||Education||Parent of the School|
Statutory Guidance for Governing Bodies
St Benet’s Catholic Primary School adhere to the statutory guidance from the Department of Education. This means that governing bodies must have regard to it when carrying out duties relating to the constitution of governing bodies in maintained schools.
How To Become A School Governor
If you require further information on the roles and responsibilities of School Governors or you are interested in becoming one, visit the Durham County Council website School Governor section.
Schools are now required to display a record of Governor attendance at meetings for each school academic year.
✓ – Attended meeting
A/A – Apologies sent and accepted by meeting
N – Did not attend
n/a – Not a member of the committee
Record of Attendance 2021- 2022
|Head teacher Appraisal |
|Pay Review Meeting |
|Deacon P Lavery||A/A||✓||n/a||n/a||✓|
|Mrs B Davison - Chair||✓||✓||✓||✓||n/a|
|Mrs B Bartlett||✓||A/A||A/A||✓||n/a|
|Miss P Jenner||✓||✓||n/a||✓||✓|
|Mrs Angela Garrity - Vice Chair||✓||✓||n/a||A/A||✓|
|Mr M Cottle (resigned Dec 2021)||✓||✓||✓||n/a||n/a|
|Dr S Elkington (resigned Dec 2021)||A/A||✓||n/a||n/a||n/a|
|Miss S Loughlin||A/A||✓||n/a||n/a||n/a|
|Mrs C Young/ Mr D Miller||✓||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Mrs M Kelsey||A/A||✓||n/a||n/a||n/a|
You can also view previous years attendance on our website.
Committee Terms of Reference
First / Pay Review Committee
CHAIR: Mrs Bernadette Bartlett
Terms of Reference:
- Annually agree the Teachers’ Pay Policy.
- Act in accordance with the Teachers’ Pay Policy when carrying out the annual review of teachers’ salaries.
- Report to the Resources committee on pay review related expenditure.
- Consider any requests made in accordance with personnel policies e.g. flexible working, leave of absence etc. (unless delegated to the Headteacher).
- Make any decisions relating to … the personnel procedures adopted by the Governing Body e.g. disciplinary, grievance, ill-health, capability etc.
- Make any decisions relating to a member of staff (other than the Headteacher) under the personnel procedures adopted by the Governing Body (unless delegated to the Headteacher).
- Deal with matters relating to staffing reductions.
MEETINGS: at least annually during the Autumn term
DISQUALIFICATIONS: Headteacher; Chair of Governors (if have prior knowledge); where there may be a conflict of interest; any Governor whose spouse/partner is involved; staff (annual pay review and matters relating to staffing reductions)
CHAIR: Mrs Angela Garrity
Terms of Reference:
- Consider any appeal against a decision made under the personnel procedures adopted by the Governing Body.
- Consider any appeal against a decision to dismiss a member of staff made by the First/Pay Review Committee (or Headteacher if delegated).
- Consider any appeal against a decision made by the First/Pay Review Committee during the annual review of teachers’ salaries.
- Consider any appeal against selection for redundancy through a staffing reduction process.
- Consider complaints against the school in accordance with the agreed school Complaints Procedure.
MEETINGS: as and when required.
QUORUM: Must have at least the same number of Governors as were present at the original hearing.
DISQUALIFICATIONS: Headteacher; Chair of Governors (if have prior knowledge); any Governor involved in the original hearing; where there may be a conflict of interest; any Governor whose spouse/partner is involved; staff (appeals in relation to salary or staffing reduction decisions)
Chair: Deacon Peter Lavery
Terms of Reference:
- To determine within statutory guidelines and the School Admission Policy whether any child shall be admitted to the school.
- To adopt a School Admission policy in line with diocesan guidelines and review admission arrangements annually.
- To adopt a Nursery Admission Policy and review admission arrangements annually.
- To set a planned admission number (PAN) considering infant class size legislation.
MEETINGS: at least annually during the Spring term.
Headteacher’s Performance Review Committee
LEAD GOVERNOR: Mrs Bernadette Davison
Terms of Reference:
- Set, with the support of the Education Development Partner (EDP) Headteacher’s annual performance objectives.
- Monitor throughout the year the performance of the Headteacher against agreed performance objectives.
- Review, with the support of the Education Development Partner (EDP) achievement of performance objectives.
- Make recommendations to the First/Pay Review Committee in respect of the Headteacher’s annual pay progression.
MEETINGS: Autumn Term plus monitoring meetings
DISQUALIFICATIONS: Headteacher and staff
You may need a product like Adobe Reader (free download) to view our PDF documents on our website.