There are different levels of support offered and each type of support is dependent on the individual learning needs, and is intended to enable access to learning and overcome the barrier to learning identified. These levels can be explained as three waves of intervention:
Wave 1 Quality First Teaching
This is about what should be on offer for all children: the effective inclusion of all pupils in high-quality everyday personalised teaching. This could include:
- Differentiated and personalised work to meet pupils’ needs
- High expectations which inspire, motivate and challenge pupils
- Adapting teaching to respond to the strengths and needs of all pupils
- Behaviour managed effectively to ensure a good and safe learning environment which promotes progress
- Deploying support staff effectively.
Wave 2 Interventions
Where children need additional support they may be given some Wave 2 intervention to help them ‘Catch Up’ with their peers or prevent a gap from appearing. Wave 2 interventions are often targeted at a group of pupils with similar needs. Intervention programmes such as The Power of Two , Lexia would be would be regarded as Wave 2 interventions.
Wave 3 Interventions
If pupils continue to make inadequate progress, despite high-quality teaching targeted at their areas of weakness, the class teacher, with support from the SENCO, should assess whether a pupil has a significant learning difficulty, which may require highly- tailored interventions. This may include specialist or one to one provision.
Education Health Care Plan/Statement of Educational Need
A very small number of children may require additional support, if the school support is not impacting on the child’s progress and this is still of significant concern, the school, after consultation with parents and other professionals, will request an Education, Health and Care Needs Assessment from the Local Authority. Parents can also request an EHC Needs Assessment.
Current interventions include:
- Daily Reading groups
- Spelling interventions
- Lexia groups (reading intervention)
- Mathletics/ Spelldrome
- 1-1 and small group work with Teaching Assistants (phonics & number)
- Power of 2 (basic skills)
- Toe by Toe (basic skills)
- Therapeutic Writing
- Relax Kids
- Friendship Matters
- Friendship Formula
- Getting Along
- Speech and Language Therapy groups
- Socially speaking
- Time to talk
- Social Stories
- Booster literacy & maths groups (KS2)
- Rainbows (pastoral care for children who are struggling with bereavement, grief or separation)