At St Benet’s we have a dedicated Special Needs and Disability Co-ordinator (SENCO). Mrs Calvert is an experienced teacher and qualified SENCO. She has been working at St Benet’s since September 2000. She has experience of teaching in both Key Stage 1 and Key Stage 2 and has an excellent understanding of the Foundation Stage.
The role of the SENCO in our school is to support all families and children throughout their time here, to ensure that all children can achieve their full potential and have a happy and holy time at St Benet’s.
It is the SENCO’s job to:
- Oversee the day-to-day operation of the school’s SEND policy
- Liaise with the relevant Designated Teacher where a looked after pupil has SEND
- Advise teachers on using a graduated approach to providing SEND support
- Advise on the deployment of the school’s delegated budget and other resources to meet the pupil’s needs effectively
- Liaise with parents/carers of pupils with SEND
- Liaise with and be a key point of contact for external agencies
- Ensure that the school keeps the records of all SEND pupils up to date
- Work with the head teacher and school governors to ensure that the school meets its responsibilities with regard to reasonable adjustments and access arrangements
If you would like to discuss your SEND requirements in detail please contact the school to arrange an appointment with Mrs Calvert (SENCO).