Welcome to Year 3
In Year 3 pupils begin working at Key Stage 2.
Useful Class Information
- P.E. is usually on Monday afternoon and there are also swimming lessons each Wednesday morning.
- Homework continues as in Year 2 with Spelling lists and Multiplication Tables. Homework usually reflects and practises the topics, themes or methods taught that week and is an opportunity for your children to reinforce their learning.
- In Y3 Library Books can be brought back any day of the week but books will be changed each Wednesday (computer system permitting).
- Reading Record Books should be returned at least once a week, although many pupils like to change their Reading Record Book reader several times a week. This is to be encouraged.
Spelling lists practise spelling patterns to help the pupils in their own writing.
Multiplication tables and division facts will help them in numeracy forever!!
Literacy and Numeracy homework is given out each Friday and returned to school for marking by Tuesday (This is a whole school policy).
Numeracy at KS2 is in Sets, so pupils in Y3 will be either in Y4 or Y3 set. Numeracy topics include calculation methods for addition, subtraction, multiplication and division, Time, 2D & 3D shapes and their properties, compass directions, basic angles and data handling (tables, charts diagrams). Much time is spent developing the use of RUCSAC to help children to solve word problems.
- R – Read the word problem
- U – Understand
- C – Choose
- S – Solve
- A – Answer
- C – Check
This method is used throughout our school to give pupils a method of solving word problems in Numeracy with either one- step or multi – step calculations.
A Typical Day in Year 3
- 8.55am – 9.00am Registration and Prayers
- 9.00am – 9.30am Super Sentences
- 9.30am – 10.30am Literacy
- 10.30am – 10.45am Playtime
- 10.45am – 12.00pm Numeracy
- 12.00pm – 1.10pm Lunchtime
- 1.10pm – 1.15pm Registration and Prayers
- 1.15pm – 2.15pm RE/Science/ICT
- 2.15pm – 3.15pm Music/PE
- 3.15pm – 3.30pm Joy of Reading, then prayers
What have we been up to in Year 3?
Autumn 1 2015 year 3 autumn 1